Molds are usually not a problem indoors, unless mold spores land on a wet or damp spot and begin growing. Molds have the potential to cause health problems. Molds produce allergens (substances that can cause allergic reactions), irritants, and in some cases, potentially toxic substances (mycotoxins). Inhaling or touching mold or mold spores may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals. Allergic responses include hay fever-type symptoms, such as sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash (dermatitis). Allergic reactions to mold are common. They can be immediate or delayed. Molds can also cause asthma attacks in people with asthma who are allergic to mold. In addition, mold exposure can irritate the eyes, skin, nose, throat, and lungs of both mold-allergic and non-allergic people. Symptoms other than the allergic and irritant types are not commonly reported as a result of inhaling mold. Research on mold and health effects is ongoing. M & D Home Inspection can help find the root causes of mold and mildew in homes. Mold and mildew require moisture to live and grow. Typically moisture in sheetrock and other building materials may be identified using thermal imaging. M & D Home Inspection has International Associtation of Certified Indoor Air Consultants (IAC2) a Inspector to inspect and test your home for mold.
Radon is a naturally occurring, radioactive gas that is emitted from the decay of uranium in the soil, rock and water. Radon is odorless, colorless, and tasteless. Radon is essentially harmless at levels found in the atmosphere in most locations, but can become a health hazard if it is trapped and concentrated in homes and other buildings. The only known health hazard of radon is an increased risk of developing lung cancer. In fact, the Surgeon General has warned that radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States today. Only smoking causes more lung cancer deaths. If you smoke and your home has high radon levels, your risk of lung cancer is especially high
Radon gas typically moves up through the ground to the air above and into your home through cracks and other holes in the foundation. Your home traps radon inside, where it can build up. Any home may have a radon problem. This means new and old homes, well-sealed and drafty homes, and homes with or without basements.
Nearly 1 out of every 15 homes in the U.S. is estimated to have elevated radon levels. Elevated levels of radon gas have been found in 11 % of the homes in North Central Oklahoma.
Inspected Once, Inspected Right!®
M & D Home Inspection
202 Wynona Drive
Lahoma, OK 73754
Phone: (580) 278-4037
Learn more about my philosophy and how I work, and get to know our competent staff. No matter what your needs: I offer a broad range of inspection services, including Home Inspections, Quality Control Inspections, Multi Family Inspections, Radon Testing, and Mold Inspections.
Certified Professional Inspector
State License # OK 70001398